This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity) - Victoria Schwab

Thought I was done with YA because (I think) I’m a little bit old for that, but something deep inside me nagged me to not give up, so that was what I did. I chose Victoria Schwab’s (one of my favorite authors) “This Savage Song” since it’s only a duo logy and just recently concluded.

This Savage Song follows the story of the two main characters August Flynn (South Verity) and Kate Harker (North Verity). Their families have been on truce for a couple of years now but that seems coming to an end.  August is a Sunai, one of the three kinds of Monsters in Verity, who wants to live like humans. Kate Harker is a human who desperately wanted to prove to her father that she is a worthy “Harker” and that means she needs to show that she is capable of ruling monsters just like her father.

The world where this story was set was dark and cruel. Human violent acts will result in the appearance of monsters (Malchai= bloodsucker; Corsai= monsters with sharp teeth and claws; Sunai= steal souls through music). In this place, people fight or pay for their safety.

I don’t know why other people say this book contains zero romance, but to me August and Kate’s chemistry is so palpable. It is not obvious but it is there and I love it just the way it is.

One of the reasons Ms. Schwab became one of my favorite authors was because of the unique plots of her novels. It is a wonder to me how she came up with those ideas. Each of her novels is unique and unpredictable. They don’t usually focus on romance. They are like a breath of fresh air considering most YA novels today have same ideas and focus on romance. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against romance but sometimes it becomes the center of the whole story in most YA.

I like the writing style, the book cover (so lovely), the perspective and a couple of characters of this book. I enjoyed this book immensely for sure I will read the last installment as soon as I could get my hands on it.

Dark, cruel and brutal world, likable and charming hero, kickass heroine and (almost) no romance, go ahead and try this one if these things I mentioned strikes your fancy.

#I’m back with reviews hope this will continue

#Just because I don’t post reviews doesn’t mean I stop reading….no…I don’t think I would ever stop reading…ever