Cruel Beauty - Rosamund Hodge

This one is a unique read for me. I haven’t read anything like it. Apart from the beginning where it gave me the same feels I had with “The Wrath and the Dawn” and of course “Beauty and the Beast”, the rest of the story was quite a unique plot for me. I appreciated that it kept me guessing on what would happen next.

Though the “seduce the enemy and get his trust” trope makes me roll my eyes, gag and cringe, it wasn’t really the case in this book so if that bothers you do not fret.

I could really see where Nyx hatred to her father came from, dang I myself hated him until the last page, and her Aunt Telomache annoyed me too, grrrr. I could also understand her guilt on how she felt for her twin sister Astraia, to me that was believable. Ignifex, I mean he was supposed to be a demon but aside from doing (cheating) bargains with other people to me it felt as if he wasn’t cruel enough.

That cover though, is so pretty. It was one of the reasons why I picked this up (Yup.  I’m a sucker for pretty book covers). I couldn’t see the relevance of the title “Cruel Beauty” in the story (Someone please enlighten me). The writing sometimes overwhelms me, maybe because I’m not well-versed of the gods and goddesses that played a huge part in this book. So I suppose those who are like me (ignorant about gods and goddesses) would also feel the same way as I felt with this book.

Despite some of my issues with this book, I still ended up liking the story. This book was a bit dark but unique and unpredictable, plus a cute love story with it. If these things I mentioned appeals to you, then do yourselves a favor and read this!

Actual rating: 3.9/5 stars

#How was I able to graduate high school without knowing much about Greek and Roman gods and goddesses?  I have no idea

#Or maybe I was asleep when my teacher lectured this in my class