The Hating Game: A Novel - Sally Thorne

This is one of the times that I feel bad because I don’t feel the same as the rest.

Well, don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed reading The Hating Game.

But I can’t give it a rating higher than 3.8 stars, which makes me sad because a lot of people gave this book a higher rating.

What I liked about this book:

1. The banter. It had me cracked up A LOT of times. I could (almost) believed that the two (Lucy and Joshua) hate each other VERY MUCH. I couldn’t (almost) imagine how the two would turn into lovers from the way they interact especially in the beginning.

2. A few particular scenes were unique in the sense that I haven’t read them before, which kind of refreshing.

3. Lucy as a heroine had a lot of good qualities I really admire. Her determination and dedication in her job; her independence since she’s living far away from her family and has no close friends by her side; and her strong will in achieving something that she longs for and not back down are just a few of her qualities that tell something about how admirable a character she is.

4. Even though I found Joshua annoying and sometimes ungentlemanlike from the way he treated Lucy in the beginning, I couldn’t help but like him (because yes, I like complicated heroes). I found his shyness cute; he was a competent man; and he was such a sweet person.

What didn’t work for me:

1. As I mentioned above, it was very believable that the two hate each other. But then whenever Lucy thought of how much she hated Joshua, she also couldn’t help but noticed how handsome he was. Which was okay from the first few times, but when done almost every time? *eye roll*

2. Some important scenes had less impact on me, because I’ve already read them from other books.

3. The ending. I need more.

(See how this is annoying? To me this book ended with a few loose ends to tie up.)

All in all, this book was an enjoyable read. It was hard to put down despite some issues I had with it. Romantics out there will surely enjoy this. If “enemies to lovers” is your favorite trope, then this book is for you.

#I feel a little bad because I’m sure that the “Me” before would love this kind of story. I surely love contemporary romances