The Fill-In Boyfriend - Kasie West

I must admit, the title got me into reading this….well plus that cute book cover.

Honestly, I think the story isn’t that original nowadays. Since a lot of books, even TV series/dramas already had the same plot “pretend boyfriend or girlfriend” thing. But that didn’t stop me being interested in reading this.

Though the synopsis pretty much told what this book was about, I think there’s actually more from it. This book wasn’t really all about the fill-in bf. This book was more about Gia, the heroine, president of the student council, and one of the popular girls at their school. This also showed us how Gia’s character developed. Her relationship with her family, boyfriend, friends and the people around her made her question and realized what kind of person she really was. I wasn’t really a popular student back then but I could totally relate to some of Gia’s situation.

Then her lying from the very beginning was what made her life miserable. I found these quotes applicable in Gia’s predicament in the entire book:

“Tell the truth, or someone will tell it for you.”

“Lies are temporary solution to a permanent problem.”

“Tell a lie once and all your truths become questionable.”

This book also discussed a bit of pros and cons of Social Medias, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram that most teenagers found addicting nowadays.

As for the fill-in boyfriend, Hayden (well if that spoiled you, SORRY MY BAD), at the end of the book I could say that I still didn’t know him well. I only get to know him from Gia’s POV, and I wanted to know more about him.

I liked Hayden’s family. They were open and expressive about their feelings. Bec, Hayden’s sister, and Gia’s classmate in Government, was a fun character too. I found her real and I liked her attitude. Then their mother Olivia was such an interesting mother. She’s such a cool mom and someone you could ask for wonderful insights in life.

But aside from that, I think there were more annoying characters in this book than the characters I found interesting. Both MC’s had so called “friends” that brought me a strong urge to strangle. Yes, they were toxic. They were the kind of friends that you would not regret losing. This made me want to share some quotes about true friendship:

“ It is better to have an ENEMY who honestly says they hate you than to have a FRIEND who’s putting you down SECRETLY.”

“ True Friends look at you with no judgment in their eyes, they know you’ve made mistakes but they accept you for being human and help you right the wrongs. “

“ Being Honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones. “
“ Fake Friends believe in rumors, Real Friends believe in you.”

All in all, I could say that I liked the author’s writing style. I’m definitely looking forward to reading her other books. This book was such an easy and cute contemporary romance read. Just in time to keep my reading streak after reading a high fantasy book. So check this book out!

#My first read of Kasie West and it’s really cool

#I could go on and on with the quotes that fit the story of this book

#Fear is what pushes people to lie

#You don’t need a certain number of friends. You just need a number of friends you can be certain of.

#sorry couldn’t stop myself with the quotes