The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern

OHHMYYYGOOOSSSHHHH!!!!!******with teary eyes******

I can’t explain how I’m feeling right now. I don’t know….guh

I must admit, this book is not my usual type in books. I’ve never been to a circus nor interested in going to one. But now after reading this I’m considering doing so. This book changed my perspective about circuses and the people/performers behind circuses and now I appreciate their hard work, devotions and passion on their chosen craft (which before, for me, was strange).

This is the kind of book that is meant to be devoured. You need a high level of imagination and patience to fully appreciate its awesomeness bits by bits. However, I would understand that some people might not realize how awesome this fantastic masterpiece is. I would not recommend this book to those who are not fond of slow paced stories. Oh hell, this book was like building up its climax up to the very last few pages. Yup. They might find this boring for it didn’t have a lot of dialogues and its lots of narrative.

Now the details:

THE TITLE & BOOK COVER. I loved the title and I learned to love the cover as well. I wasn’t a fan of the cover at first but I couldn’t imagine a better cover for it to match the brilliance of this book. I think the cover suits the story for it successfully brings out the vibe and atmosphere of the circus elegantly.

THE CHARACTERS. There were tons of characters involved in this book. At first, I got a problem with that, but they all played significant roles to the story though it took me a few pages to get familiar with some of them (because memorizing names are one of my weaknesses) but in the end I pretty much knew and very much familiar with each of the characters in this book. My favorite characters were Celia and Marco (of course) then Widget, Poppet and Bailey. Well, Tsukiko, Thiessen, Isobel, Padva, the Burgess Sisters and Ethan were also likeable.

THE PLOT. The story of this book was new to me. I haven’t read anything like it, so for me it was unique. I wasn’t interested (I admit) at first, but the hype for this book got me curious and I must say I got dazzled, spell bounded, charmed (and all the other synonyms of these words) on this book and I didn’t regret reading it. This book is now one of my favorite books. This book successfully occupied a space in my book loving heart.

THE ROMANCE. The love story wasn’t the focal point of this book and that made me loved this book even more. I felt the chemistry between Celia and Marco’s scenes together even though they were only few. Those few scenes where they expressed their love and heartaches were enough for me and I love each of those scenes very much.

THE WRITING STYLE, FORMAT, & AUTHOR. This book’s format was not common to me, for one: books with timelines are one of my weaknesses because I’m always having a hard time keeping up with the dates, then this book narrates the past and the current events until they overlap, which I understand that some readers won’t appreciate much. Then: its frequent shift in perspective confused me a few times in the beginning but once I got the hang of it, only then I got the better understanding of the story. So now that I finished this book, I know that rereading it would make me understand this book better. It gave me chills whenever it refers to me as a spectator of the circus but I love that it makes me involved and let me experienced how it was like to be in the circus. I haven’t experienced that often in other books.

Also, I found out (thanks google) that this book was an entry in NaNoWriMo and Ms. Morgenstern was 32 when this book got sold and that inspired me to write my own NaNoWriMo entry for it is my dream to be able to write at least one novel before I die (yeah seriously), though realizing how excellent “The Night Circus” is and that gave me an impression how high caliber the entries in NaNoWriMo are, that somewhat discouraged me because I don’t think I would be able to write this kind of story (like that’s impossible!).

I deliberately read this slowly when there were only a few pages left because I didn’t want it to end. Then the story ended in the way that made me wish for more because I needed more from Marco and Celia. But eventually I learned to accept it and realized that that was just the perfect ending for this fantabulous book.

A must read but be patient please.

#This book inspired me but somewhat discouraged me as well

#I have the itch to send an email to Bailey at bailey@nightcircus.com

#I wish I could visit Le Cirque des Rêves (even in my dreams)

#pleasepleasepleaseplease