The Retribution of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

To say that this series was creepy is an understatement.

So CREEPY! I couldn’t explain how I really felt. The first few lines made my hair stand on end. It was creepy but I loved it. I was utterly awed about that opening scene of this final installment.

Now we’ve come to the conclusion of the most confusing story I’ve ever read. I’m going to miss this but for some reason I’m happy as well.

What I really liked about this series was its unpredictableness. You never knew what was coming. It kept me guessing. You just have to go with the flow and just let the author take you to wherever she wanted to take you.

I must admit, I kept putting this book off for a few days. So I’d had to drag myself into finishing this. I had two(2) issues that made me feel that way, and those were:

One, I got a bit bored because Noah wasn’t in the majority of this book. Like he wasn’t present in the book for almost 70%. It was never a problem with me before if the heroine was not always with her love interest. But in this book, I loved everything when they’re together even if the scenes were heart breaking, I still enjoyed them as long as they’re together. I mentioned from my reviews of the first and the second books that most of my favorite parts about this series were the scenes where Mara and Noah were together and in this book I felt the same. So imagine me reading almost 70% of the book without Noah in the story. Could you blame me for being a bit bored? Well, maybe it’s just me who had the problem here not the story.

Second, because Mara’s (only) mission was to find where Noah was and punish those who took him from her. That was the only thing that mattered to her and I found it a bit meh and eye roll worthy.

Anyways, I loved that in this book I got to experience reading from Noah’s perspective (Yup, Noah’s POV) aside from Mara’s and the flashbacks/dreams/visions that she also had in the second book.

I kept on asking myself, what kind of story this book really was? And the answer to that question according to Mara was:

“This is a love story. Twisted and messy. Flawed and screwed up. But it’s ours. It’s us. I don’t know how our story will end, but I know how it will start.”

So maybe I’m just analyzing everything about this series really hard to the point that it led me astray. I was expecting a lot of different things that I thought should happened but did not really happen in this series. And maybe that was the main reason I got bored in some part. But at least it evoked various emotions in me.

My issue about Mara’s real name was finally solved (Very clever Miss Hodkin). Imagine my issue about Mara’s name and the book trailer back in the first book was answered in this last book at the very last sentence. So I apologized for calling the first book trailer “deceiving”. My bad.

Do I recommend this series? Hell Effing Yes!!! This series was so unique I haven’t read anything like it and I could definitely say that it occupied a special place in my heart.

#See for your selves people, read this bloody/creepy trilogy

#That book cover! I’ll give this series book covers a 5 star (Now one of my top ten favorite book covers)

#The ending satisfied me btw